About Authors of Handbook:
Dr Colin Mercer
Colin is a Technical Director at Prosig. He was formerly at the nstitute of Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR), Southampton university where he founded the Data Analysis Centre.
Don graduated from the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR) and is now a director of
Prosig. Don is Product Manager for PROTOR. He is a member of the British Computer Society.
Chris graduated from Portsmouth Polytechnic in 1983 and is a director of Prosig where he leads the development of Prosig’s DATS software package & writes for the Prosig Blog.
James has overall responsibility for Prosig’s UK and overseas sales. James graduated from Portsmouth University in 2001 with a Masters degree in Electronic Engineering. He is a member of the IET.
Adrian is a director of Prosig. He was formerly a Research Fellow at the ISVR. He is a Chartered Engineer and member of the British Computer Society and Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
Dr Mike Donegan
Mike graduated from the University of Southampton and then completed a PhD in Seismic Refraction Studies. He now researches & develops algorithms and assists customers with analysis issues.
Notes & Articles Index:
Data Capture & Measurement
- Made to measure
- What are dB, noise floor & dynamic range
- Strain gauges explained
- Accelerometer mounting methods
- What is the difference between single ended & differential inputs
- What is the difference between microphone types
Noise & Vibration Analysis
- Standard octave bands
- Interpretation of the Articulation Index
- A, B & C weighting
- Audio equalisation filter & parametric filtering
- Fourier analysis: The basics & beyond
- What is resonance
- Aliasing, orders & wagon wheels
- How to measure noise & vibration in rotating machines
- A simple frequency response function Frequency, Hertz & orders
- Fatigue & durability testing: How do I do it?
- Vibration analysis: Should we measure
- acceleration, velocity or displacement?
- How to calculate a resultant vector Understanding the cross correlation function
- The basics of digital filtering
Vibration Condition Monitoring
- Measuring shaft displacement
- Signal conditioning for high common-mode & isolation
- Monitoring auxiliary machinery
- Understanding the importance of transducer orientation